Thursday, December 19, 2013

Sometimes I Just Can't Ride The Safe, Middle Line

        It’s been such a long time since I’ve blogged. There’s been plenty to write about: our 2013 Iceoliday, Thanksgiving, my Secret Santa woes, all things Chloe related (Did I mention she was moved up from the mommy and me class to the preschool class?!?), the never ending Christmas shopping, those pesky 10 pounds I’ve gained that just won’t budge (thank you, 32!).  Oh how the list goes on and on. There’s no way I could ever catch up. So, I think I’ll just blog with what’s on my mind this morning.
Sometimes I can be super opinionated on issues, but usually I just ride the line straight down the middle, especially when it comes to politics. I tend to be “wishy washy” and easily swayed one way or the other.  Last night, I was half-heartedly watching Barbara Walter’s special on the most fascinating people of 2013. I say half-heartedly because I was also reading a ridiculously long article on Kidd Kraddick (you can find a link to that article by clicking HERE) that had way more of my attention. That’s why when Barbara was interviewing Hillary Clinton, I had no idea, I repeat, NO IDEA, that she was named the #1 most fascinating person of 2013! In fact, her interview is probably the one I paid the least attention to. I find her rather boring mundane stale yawn worthy.  Really, Barbara? Really? On what grounds is she fascinating? What has she done this year to earn this title? I could think of so  many more interesting, fascinating, and deserving people. It’s not that I don’t like Hillary, it’s not that I do like her. I really could care less either way about her. (Once again, I ride the middle a lot.) I just don’t get it. She hasn’t been in the spotlight for any good deed, she hasn’t done something amazing this year; heck, has she done much of anything this year aside trying to avoid the subpoena to testify under oath about her part in the whole Benghazi attack? You know, the security lapse that was her ultimate responsibility and cost four American’s their lives? Let me tell you, I don’t know just how fascinating those four families feel she is. What about Miley Cyrus? Hasn’t she had way more “press making” moments? (Not that I like her. Actually, I kinda detest her and think she’s gross. But still, she’s more interesting than Hillary freaking Clinton!) What about the new Pope who’s the epitome of what a 21st century, new world Pope should be?  I hate to say it, but Barbara, my dear, you are way off on this one.
Now, on to the next topic that caught my attention this morning. Apparently, Phil Robertson, the patriarch of the Duck Dynasty family, made some comments in GQ magazine that he opposed the gay lifestyle, bestiality, adultery, and several other things.  The conversation began because Phil told the reporter, "Everything is blurred on what's right and what's wrong ... sin becomes fine." He’s totally right! How many times have we all asked ourselves, “What IS wrong with our world today?!” What’s right and what’s wrong have truly become totally blurred. It’s the new, 21st century lifestyle. Ask for forgiveness later, turn your head the other way, let your kids get away with murder, and condone everything.  The magazine went on to ask him what he considers sinful. "Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there -- bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men," he said.  Once again, isn’t he right? Don’t get me wrong, I have no problem with any of my friends or family being homosexual. It truly could matter less to me. Mainly, because it’s not my place to judge. The Bible says it’s wrong, it’s a sin, but until I am free of sin, and I am so far from it, my job is to live my life the best I can and love those around me. I have gay friends who are amazing people.  I would never judge them.  This too is how Phil Robertson lives his life. He ended his discussion about the sins in our world today by telling the reporter, "We never, ever judge someone on who's going to heaven, hell. That's the Almighty's job. We just love 'em, give 'em the good news about Jesus -- whether they're homosexuals, drunks, terrorists. We let God sort 'em out later, you see what I'm saying?" 
I read this all this morning in an article reporting that he has been suspended by A&E for his comments. It really angered me, the walk the middle line girl. He said he would “never, ever judge someone,” he just disagrees with their choices.  BIG DEAL! I seriously doubt there is anyone in the world that totally agrees with the choices that every other person in their life makes. Isn’t Phil the one being judged by the network and the world for his personal and religious beliefs?  Frankly, I admire him for being committed enough to his beliefs to stand up in front of the world and say so.  These days, we are so concerned with what is politically correct, what might offend someone, blah, blah, blah…Sometimes I feel that as a whole, we are forced to bite our tongue and not embrace our true beliefs except behind closed doors.  Need I go into the whole “Happy Holidays” rather than “Merry Christmas” crap?
            I can also see though how the homosexual community could feel hurt when their lifestyle isn’t accepted by someone. Really though, isn’t that life? Not every decision and choice I have made has been one that everyone would support or agree with. And, it has bothered me when others have disagreed with me. Ultimately though, we are adults living in a free nation with a right to do and say how we please to do and say. Where on one corner there is someone opposing you, on the next is someone who will have your back.  So why does everyone have to be so PC? It’s truly done out of fear. Fear for their job, their friends, and fear of an uproar. The reality of America, the land of the free, has truly taken on a new definition. Welcome to America, the land of the free, the land where political correctness reigns, and the land where we must now only wish our fellow Americans a happy holidays.  But, of course, in God we trust. Ironic much?
            On a lighter note, today is pajama day at Chloe’s dance studio. Since I pretty much bolt in a mad dash straight from Jakki’s house to the studio to get there on time, she got to wear her pajamas to Jakki’s house today. Here she is in our morning picture to send to daddy who is working in Kansas this week. 


I hope you all have a fabulous Thursday and find your way to the weekend safe, happy, and not completely broke from Christmas.

Till next time,

Lori




No comments:

Post a Comment